By Anni Dahms
Owner of the retail chain
ANNI’s VITAL SHOP.
Nurse- & Health
specialist, Biopath and Nutritional Adviser.
After the many joys of Christmas, filled with cozy gatherings, where we have often abundantly enjoyed both food and drink, many of us feel a strong need to purify our bodies in order to quickly return to our daily routine and to a body that is full of health and wellbeing.
You can also read this article here:
Spring is looming just around the corner, the days becoming lighter, birds are singing, everything’s sprouting and growing. We wish, just like nature, to bloom and be filled with happiness and energy. Often we have an incredible urge to do spring cleaning. We begin in our bodies, where the cleanse is bid welcome. It is fun, exciting and challenging to detox.
The body is a fantastic device, and easily allows itself to detox if we give it a little help along the way.
Detoxing provides many benefits for both body and mind. Your skin becomes more beautiful and clear, the eyes more bright – often you can see that the colour in your eyes also becomes more distinct, and the murkiness disappears. You become more energetic, your hair more beautiful and your stomach functions better.
This is because by purifying, you help your inner organs to work more effectively.
Where digestion is concerned, it is predominantly the liver and the digestive system that are relieved and can work under less stress. It is calculated, that up to 50% of our energy is used up in the digestive system. By alleviating this system the extra energy can then be used to improve connective tissue and other cell functions. Therefore, detoxing is also an anti-aging treatment.
The skin is our largest detoxifying organ, and when it comes to various skin problems it can be very beneficial to have a proper cleansing.
We also detoxify via our airways, where the bronchi and mucus membranes in the throat and nose secrete mucus with diverse waste products.
The urinary tract also belongs to the detoxifying organs, the urine is filled with waste products.
In addition to being part of the immune system, the lymphatic system can be compared to a drainage system which is located outside the cells of the body. These drain pipes, or more correctly lymphatics collect excess tissue fluid. If the lymphatic system is not working properly, we get fluid retention. The entire lymphatic system, along with the spleen, greatly benefits from a detox. The lymph systems task is to remove toxins and microbes from the body, through the spleen, the liver and the intestinal system. When you have a healthy functioning lymphatic system, you can better fight harmful bacteria and viruses. On the other hand, if the lymphatic system is sluggish, then the other organs such as the liver, kidney, skin and intestinal system find it harder to excrete waste products.
During your cleanse, it is best and most effective to avoid all forms of alcohol, avoid smoking, avoid coffee and black tea, avoid coca cola and other forms of soda as well as avoiding sugary substances like candy, cake, etc.
You can easily detoxify without having to fast. However, if you do decide to fast, in my opinion it would be wise to assign yourself to some well-trained therapist during the period of fasting. We are all unique personalities and no two fasters progress alike. Many times it is a good idea to combine fasting with personal contemplation.
There are many ways in which to cleanse. If for one reason or other you are unable to manage a major cleanse, then a normal daily diet can have a cleansing effect too.
You can, for example, choose one day a week, where you only eat porridge and vegetables.
It will take longer to purify your body, but it can be a good solution. It often has a better effect that a very strict diet.
Another model is to take a week, where you cut out all forms of flour, sugar and dairy products as well as caffeinated drinks.
Try not to worry if you experience headaches, muscle pain, fatigue, skin problems, etc. during the period of detoxification. These are symptoms of detoxification and they will quickly disappear again.
Remember to eat a few small meals during the period of cleansing. Make sure to be taking plenty of healthy fatty acids. Remember to drink plenty of water, for example, potato water with various herbs.
Potato water is extremely detoxifying.
Ensure that your daily diet contains less calories than usual. You could possibly use a good quality protein powder and mix it with tomato juice or other vegetable juices. You could predominantly stick to this for a few days.
From time to time I have replaced my dinner with a large bowl of fruit salad, made from different fruit.
Beetroot is a potent blood cleanser. Perhaps the most detoxifying. A well-prepared beetroot steak, with a touch of various herbs can be a joy for both body and soul. Dandelion has also the same wonderful effect, so try adding some to your diet in the form of dandelion juice or tea. Dandelion juice is believed to have anti-cancer qualities. Dandelion has a laxative effect, is liver cleansing and supports the stomach/intestine and pancreas.
All green vegetables have an alkalising effect, which most of us need, so use them enthusiastically.
Be kind to your liver and eat plenty of broccoli and other bitter greens and fruit, e.g. artichoke, grapefruit etc. Coriander is a fantastic detoxifier, especially of heavy metals.
Tea from Turmeric, also known as curcuma or gurkemeje, is a good cleanser of various toxins and parasites.
When you wake up in the morning, it’s a good idea to begin your day with the juice from 1 lemon and drink it in a glass of warm water. This provides healthy liver support.
Remember to drink sufficient water throughout the day.
- There is a large selection of good quality detox supplements available.
- Pukka Clean Greens powder is a 28 day healing agent. It consists of 11 organic green foods, such as wheat grass juice, nettle leaves, spirulina, chlorella, ginger, kale etc. The dosage is 1 tsp, possibly blended into your smoothie once a day. It’s pure gold for all of your cells. It aids all the accumulated toxins that have gathered from all the different issues.
- Pukka Cleanse is a tea that comes in small teabags. It contains organic herbs such as nettle, fennel and peppermint, licorice root, dandelion, aloe vera etc.
- Allow the tea to draw for at least 5 minutes before drinking. There are 20 teabags in a packet. It has a lovely taste of liquorice root.
- YogiTea also has a Detox Tea, which is an ayurvedic blend with licorice, dandelion, cinnamon, black pepper, anise, sage etc. A pack contains 17 teabags. It’s a gentle tea that purifies the liver and kidneys.
- Japanese Oolong tea has for many years been one of my absolute favourites. It is considered to be one of the most coveted teas and is perhaps slightly sophisticated. It is a medium between green tea and black tea. It contains a little caffeine but remains non bitter, even if it is allowed to draw over a long time. It has been associated with increased energy metabolism and fat burning.
- If you are the type who prefers a quick pill, then Biodrain Daily Detox may well be what you’re looking for. Biodrain Daily Detox is a combination of concentrated herbs and minerals. It especially supports the liver-gall function as well as the kidneys. The dosage is 1 tablet daily, and is available in packs for a month. It’s easy and many consider this remedy to be very effective.
- There is a detox product in liquid form from the company Ortis, that ensures that you drink sufficiently throughout the day. It contains 11 various herbs and is available in different flavours. The daily dose is 11 ml. which you mix with 1 and a half litres of water, which is the recommended daily dose. A bottle provides a 20 day diet. The herbs especially cleanse the kidneys/bladder, liver, digestive system, skin and respiratory organs.
- Products with Milk Thistle effectively regenerate a distressed liver. Available as tea, in liquid form and as tablets/capsules.
- Spirulina is a great help, by helping your body to become more alkaline, while being loaded with nutrients and also working as a detoxifier. It provides a really good energy.
- If you enjoy going to the sauna, it can be a great way to detoxify.
- Be kind to yourself during the entire detox period. Make sure you do something nice for yourself. Take long walks. Enjoy the sun. The sun is pure energy of life. Of course, you must enjoy it in moderation and without becoming sunburnt.
- Take up dancing lessons.
- Get a good massage with regular intervals. A lymph massage often works wonders.
- Read life-affirming books, listen to your favourite music and think of all the wonderful things that are part of your life.
- Zone therapy performed by a good zone therapist can be a great support for the whole body during the period of detoxing.
- Remember to exercise. It can be in the form of gentle exercise without the element of competition.
- If you suffer from diabetes or other diseases, you should first consult your doctor before trying any forms of detox. Pregnant women should refrain from any forms of detox as well.
- When you decide to detox, then what you eat is important. Select as much as possible organic foods. Our wish when detoxing is to get rid of the various toxins.
- When you complete your cleanse, pay attention to keep a hold of your new lifestyle. It would be a shame and feels distressing to return back to the time before you decided to detox.
- It is our daily life that counts, and daily life should be filled with happiness over a body that feels comfortable with the healthy food it is receiving.
- Diets should, in my opinion, only take place in periods when it is deemed necessary to take extra care of yourself.