The immune system is composed of a sophisticated and complex group of large elements whose final objective is the destruction of microorganisms (virus, bacteria, fungus, parasites) or strange molecules that must be destroyed.
One of the main components of the immune system is the gastrointestinal tract. Here it plays an important role in the mucous membrane and intestinal flora.
Intestinal flora contains a large number and variety of bacterias that form a complex ecosystem and it is very important for our health that this is in good condition, in order to protect us from diseases.
Which factors can influence the maintenance of a healthy intestinal flora?
1. Age. As we get old our immune system deteriorates (immunosenescence) and as a consequence there is an increase in the chance of suffering from various diseases. Levels of bifidobacterium (good bacterias) in the intestines decreases greatly after reaching the age of 55-60 years.
2. Stress. It can also adversely affect the balance of flora in healthy people.
3. Treatment with antibiotics.
4. Ailments, namely gastrointestinal diseases
5. Immunological characteristics which are particular of each individual.
According to the media, there are many cases of intestinal flora problems in the developed world.
Hence the use of probiotic supplements are advised.
Probiotic intake increases the concentration of beneficial health bacteria (lactobacillus and bifidobacterium) and reduces harmful bacteria (clostridium and enterococcus).
Besides probiotics there are also prebiotics. Be careful not to confuse them.
Prebiotics (normally they are carbohydrates) are food that contain ingredients that contribute to the activity of beneficial intestinal bacteria.
In Anni´s Vital Shop we have a wide range of these supplements. You can choose the one that best suits your needs. We have specific products for vegetarians, vegans, products for a particular age range, suitable for people with lactose intolerance, gluten free, etc.