Having neuritis means that many of the body’s nerves aren’t functioning properly. The affliction usually starts in the feet and can move higher up the leg and eventually also target the hands, however, all parts of the body could be affected. The first symptoms are often numbness, a feeling of walking on pillows, which in time turns into painful and burning feet, and further down the line a reduction in strength.
I was contacted by one of my very loyal customers through many years, that asked if I would write an article about neuritis, because one of her friends were very tormented and distressed by the disease and had reduced his circle of friends. There was so much pain and discomfort connected to the affliction that the social aspect of life had become unmanageable. She wanted to show him the article, with the hope that it might motivate him to move on.
The term neuritis is used to describe a collection of afflictions, which gives inflammation to one or multiple nerves. The affliction targets the peripheral nervous system.
An immense tiredness is often part of the affliction, as well as sudden shakes. Some reflexes might get destroyed and urinary problems might also follow.
The pain can be very intense, and you might experience increased sensitivity in the skin, which can make it difficult to wear clothing on certain areas, for instance putting on socks or shoes.
With the disease you might also experience increased or reduced saliva or tear production.
It’s estimated that 2 – 3% of the population will be affected by this and the frequency is increased with age. People who suffer from the affliction often also suffer from diabetes. It is therefore of the utmost importance to take care of your diabetes to the best of your ability and keep your blood sugar stable. A well-adjusted blood sugar level can help prevent the disease. Neuritis is one of the most common complications with diabetes.
Neuritis can cover a wide array of symptoms, ranging from slight inflammation, to inflammation with significant pain. Neuritis often develop over the course of multiple years, but it may also develop in a shorter time span.
Even though you are in pain, you must make sure that you get some proper food.
The diet can perform miracles. You can relieve a lot of problems through a healthy diet. It’s important that you eat as clean as possible, as to not strain the body with more poisons.
Stop the consumption of all types of alcohol, at least for the duration of your affliction. Alcohol is broken down in the liver, and you need to strong liver to excrete the toxins from your body.
Many different problems can absorb the necessary nutrients from the gut. It can also be a good idea to stay away from glutinous foods, such as bread, pasta, pizza, and the like. When it comes to grain products, you might want to choose gluten free oats, which is rich in magnesium and has a relaxing effect.
You should eat plenty of pumpkin seeds, almonds, and nuts, which are also rich in magnesium. I’ve spoken to people, whom have benefitted greatly by following a diet based on their blood type. The blood type diet takes a holistic view of the intestinal system and the body, and by following it you can optimize your health. There have been written many books about the blood type diet. Knud T Flytelie has written a small easily readable book “food as medicine and blood type diet”. Signe Lykke has also written a small cookbook “food for all blood types”. Research has been conducted in the differences in humans with different blood types since the year 1900.
You can also find a lot of inspiration on the internet regarding blood type diets.
Avoid white sugar, especially fats and sugar together that you find in foods such as pastries, which is really bad for you health. Avoid sodas, candy, cookies, cake, and chocolate. If you need a bit of sugar, then use honey or coconut sugar. Stay away from all kinds of artificial sweeteners.
Make sure that you get plenty of vegetables, perhaps in the form of vegetables juice that you prepare yourself. It might be a good idea to invest in a quality juice blender, and then introduce some good juicing habits, where you perhaps start your day with juicing. If it’s too bitter only with vegetables, then mix in an apple, it mitigates the taste. You can preferably mix some ginger powder and/or some turmeric powder when you are juicing. Turmeric has an excellent ability to counteract inflammation. Use trial and error to see what fits you personally. If you need inspiration for your vegetables juice, then there are plenty of good books, such as the one written by Mads Bo with different suggestions, you can also find plenty of inspiration on the internet.
If you want to completely optimize your health, then you need to think “out of the box” from what we believe to be true. Start slowly and don’t be afraid to experiment.
- First and foremost, make sure that you get a strong vitamin-B supplement.
- Supplement with B1 500mg.
- Take B12, even if your blood tests doesn’t show a B12 deficiency, as blood tests doesn’t show the cells content of B12. Make sure to take your B12, so that it’s absorbed by the oral mucosa under the tongue.
- Supplement the above with a multivitamin / mineral product of a high quality, to make sure that you are covered.
- Make sure you get plenty of essential fats, preferably a combination of omega 3-6-7-9. It will help the blood flow throughout your circulatory system.
- Alpha lipoic acid, roughly 600mg daily. It’s a powerful antioxidant, that is an important helping enzyme that helps the other nutrients, so they aren’t destroyed. It has been shown that it supports nerve cells. Can preferably be taken together with acetyl L carnitine.
- Acetyl L carnitine is an amino acid, that delivers energy to the muscles and can help bring down the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol.
- It has been shown that many diabetics lack vitamin-D. Vitamin-D has a huge importance for the nervous system. It has even been shown that there is a link between nerve pains in diabetics and low levels of vitamin-D. A study from 2008 showed that diabetics, with low levels of vitamin-D, had their pains lessened by taking a supplement of vitamin-D, with a dose of 100mcg daily.
- Make sure that you get a supplement of vitamin-C, 1 -2 grams daily. Everyone can benefit from vitamin-C. It optimizes the functionality of the nerves. You might want to take a vitamin-C with bioflavonoids. They protect the vitamin-C against oxidation and improve the effectiveness of the vitamin-C by up to 20 times.
- Supplement your vitamin-C with vitamin-E. The two vitamins work well together.
- Take a supplement of Q10. Find a high quality Q10 and take 100 mg two times daily. Even though we produce q10 ourselves, the production starts to drop when we reach the age of 20. So, it’s not uncommon to have a lack of Q10 when you reach the age of 50. Q10 is a powerful antioxidant. Reduced Q10 can lead to low energy levels and muscle weakness.
- Zinc as a supplement can also be of great help. Remember, if you take high doses of zinc for an extended period, then you also have to take an extra supplement of cobber. The two minerals go together.
- Make sure that your magnesium intake is covered. You could preferably take 600mg daily. Magnesium has a great importance for the immune system. If you have diabetes, then there might be an increased excretion of magnesium. It’s important that whilst you take your magnesium, that you get B6, as it increases the absorption rate.
- Supplement with organic selenium. The earth in most of the northern counties is selenium poor.
- If you are a smoker, then stop! It can worsen your circulatory system and bring other complications.
- Listen to music. It has been shown that a light a comfortable new-age music can have a dampening effect on pain.
- A study has shown that soles with magnets can have a positive effect on peripheral neuropathy and poor circulation in the feet.
- Find a cream or ointment that soothe sensitive skin. This can be done whilst you massage or brush the areas which are sensitive.
- There have been accounts, which says that acupuncture have helped them with neuritis. It provided them with relive from the pain.
- I’ve also heard that some people have found that yoga lessened their pain. If you would like to try, then ask at your local yoga teacher with experience.
- It might be a good idea to combine different treatment methods.
- Louise Hay writes in her book “Healthy mind, healthy body” that the cause for neuritis can be a punishment for guilt or anguish and that your new thought pattern should be: “I forgive myself, I love and appreciate myself. I shower the people around me with love”. It can be quite a mouthful, especially if you are full of pain, but it might be worth considering in your day.
You can read Annis Newsletter in the following languages: